green lanes

Anything that is not listed above

green lanes

Postby stewie c » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:22 am

Hello every one i am a newy i have a jeep cherokee and would like to start off roading or green lanes can any one help me i live in grays
stewie c

Re: green lanes

Postby kirkynut » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:05 am

This answers my questions in your other thread - should have read on first!!!

We go greenlaning every now and then but often on week days as we work shifts and don't get many weekends off or weekends off together (the Mrs and I that is). We do get some though.

If you get yourself some of the pink Landranger Ordnance Survey Maps from WH SMITH's, Waterstone's, some petrol stations and look for Byways Open to All Traffic - pinky red crosses. They are what you can drive. However, because nothing is simple, some of them on the map have been downgraded since the map was created. Just because it is the latest version of the map does notmean the map is correct either!

You can call Essex County Council Rights of Way Officer by loooking their number up on the ECC website and check before going or when you arrive at a lane, check it is signed as a Byway and make yourself fully happy it is a Byway and legal to drive before doing so.

Is your Cherokee standard? Stick some piccies up eh???

They don't have the best ground clearance as standard and ruts could get you stuck, even on a lane. Then if you go out on your tod you will be in a pickle! I had to dig myself out with a flat bladed screwdriver once when I stupidly went out on my own and James can tell you a story of how Claire had to flutter her eye lashes at a group of Rugby players for help once!

Most of the Byways around Essex - Chelmsford, Dunmow, Braintree way could be driven in a normal car - but there are some that couldn't, so get out and walk a bit before driving if you are unsure.

Just don't get stuck on your own!

Hope to have been of some help!

Oh and don't bother joining Glass - it's not worth it for the little help they give in my opinion.

Rob
The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.
kirkynut

Re: green lanes

Postby stewie c » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks for your help . I will post some pics of the jeep soon and no it is not standered i have fitted it with a 2" lift kit and put steel rangers wheels on it with maxxis butshot tyres on it . Well thanks again and if you do go out one weekend green laning please let me now and i will try and come if pos
stewie c

Return to Off Topic